By having a funeral planning checklist you will be providing yourself and also your family with much needed peace of mind. You’ll be happy in the knowledge that you have planned every detail of your own funeral or memorial service, so that your family and friends can celebrate your life in exactly the way you wish them to.
The passing of a loved one is an extremely difficult and emotional time and by planning your own funeral you’ll be helping your loved ones greatly, as they will know your wishes are being carried out. You would have made the decisions that they would have had to, resulting in more stress for them, at an already difficult time.
Here are some points that you should consider on your funeral planning checklist:
Your funeral service
When it comes to the actual funeral service you should decide on what type of service you would like to have. For instance:
- Would you like to have a full funeral service which would then be followed by a cremation or a burial?
- Would you like to have a funeral service which is then followed by a service at a crematory or a graveside?
- Would you like to have just a service at a graveside or just a service at a crematory, which would then be followed by a cremation or a burial?
- Would you like to have a memorial service once the burial or cremation has taken place?
- Would you rather the funeral service was located in your own home, with just close family and friends attending?
Your funeral events
There are many funeral events that also have to be thought about, including:
- Would you like to have a wake before your funeral? If you would like a wake then think about where you’d like your wake to be held. Is there a special place that you loved attending?
- Would you like there to be a viewing before your funeral?
- Would you like a visitation before your funeral takes place?
- Would you like a reception or a gathering of close family and friends after your funeral? If you would like a reception, have a think about special places that mean a lot to you. Maybe somewhere you visit regularly with family or friends.
- Would you like your funeral to follow your religion, if you have one?